Friday, January 21, 2011

The Corset

I began with a corset enlarged from Corsets and Crinolines from 1776.
I cut 2 layers out of a tight weave white cotton that I'd had left over from a previous corset project- it's not historically correct but it seems to make a nice sturdy corset without too much fussing with layers.After stitching the front, side, and back seams together I pressed them and then turned wrong sides in, stitching the boning chanels right through both layers.


I boned the corset in every second chanel- half scale didn't warrant spending the extra cost on full boning.I have yet to find eyelets small enough to work at this scale so for now the lacing is simply pulled through with a large needle.

I bound the top with a simple cotton tape, handstitching it down on the inside. I'm definitely not impressed with the way it turned out, my full scale bindings turn out much better- Definitely a learning curve.

Overall I thinks it's been a great little first effort though having done it now I know what I'll do differently for next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment