Thursday, February 3, 2011

The Bodice

I had a couple pictures of bodices that I absolutely loved so I had a better idea of what I wanted. I interfaced the pink fabric to minimize stretching and then cut it and the green cotton lining out at the same time using an enlarged version of this pattern:

I got all the side seams put together, with all the wonderful lining and clipped right angles and curves- and then decided  I didn't like the pleat at the center back. So I cut out the extra fabric, reshaped the bottom edge line and then sewed it all back together again.


I liked the way it looked when I did my mockup, but it looked too bulky when I had both layers of the bodice turned out.
I must say I was quite impressed at how nicely I got my lining and all the angles to sit when sewing it together.
After revamping the bodice I put on the lovely little sleeves and then hand stitched in the sleeve lining.

 
 The collar is of the green striped fabric with a tube of pink ciffon ruffle along the top edge. I applied on edge by machine and then hand stitched it down on the inside- adding a snap to close on the inside and a cream pearl button on the outside for decoration. I wasn't about to try a 5mm buttonhole...

 The center front panel is made of pink chiffon gathered on the the same pink fabric as the bodice and then sandwiched with a cream cotton backing that I stitched rows into to gives some strength. I put in a row of basting stitches to hold the gathering in place while I pressed it.

I had a beautiful antique clasp that would have looked amazing- but I would have needed three and the only other suitable trim I had was some green satin ribbon, so I bradied it up and then knotted it into 8 loops which fasten to the center panel. I don't love it but it works.

No comments:

Post a Comment