Tuesday, February 1, 2011

The Balayeuse

I admit that I'd never heard the term "balayeuse" (it's so much fun to spell!)until I read the article about it on YWU. I always thought there were just a lot of ruffles sewn to the underside of every skirt- this makes so much more sense. After reading the article about it I went diving for some cotton and lace. I found what seems to be the only existing pattern online and went to work. It took me a bit to figure out the pleating at the back, but I love the finished result- especially the little covered satin buttons!

For the ruffles I used a 2" wide cotton strip. I turned a 1/4" hem top and bottom and then tried a new technique for gathering. I zig-zagged over a crochet thread and then pulled- Worked fantastically, but I'll use 2 rows next time.



3 comments:

  1. I have wanted to do this fore several years now, but have not tried, because I could not figure out the box pleats. Could you explain it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry for taking so long to reply!

    Do you have an email I could send a visual explanation to? I can't make sense of it through writing...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for answering, late is still very good for a non-deadline project:)
    Here it is:
    mette.wikkelso@mail.dk

    ReplyDelete